Health & Safety Officer/Swyddog Iechyd a Diogelwch
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual looking to make a real difference to the lives of staff and communities across Wales. As one of our Health & Safety Officers you will make a real difference by supporting our managers, staff, residents and others in Wales’ top not-for-profit organisation, as voted by our staff in the 'Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For' list.
Who are we looking for?
To succeed in this role, you will have a genuine passion and interest for health and safety as well as in what we do as an organisation. You will have a demonstrable track record within a housing or customer focused environment of providing expert advice and guidance and promoting a pragmatic approach to health & safety issues.
To help us deliver an excellent service we are looking for someone who has:
- A proven track record of delivering improvements as a health and safety professional
- The ability to work effectively both autonomously and as part of a team
- At least a NEBOSH National General Certificate (or equivalent). A NEBOSH Diploma (or equivalent) is highly desirable.
- IOSH membership (or equivalent)
- The credibility and personality to engage with people at all levels
- Confidence and excellent presentation skills
- IT literacy and is competent in Word, Excel and Outlook
- Can lead by example
As we are a diverse organisation, if you have sector specific experience such as social housing, construction or care, then this would be advantageous to the post.
What will you be doing?
You will take up a role of Health & Safety Officer based in either our Cardiff or Newcastle Emlyn Office. You are likely to be supporting services in the Cardiff area primarily. The team consists of a Group Health and Safety Manager, three other Health & Safety Officers, and a Health and Safety Assistant who are based in our Cardiff and Ewloe offices.
The main areas of responsibility in this role are:
- Acting as an appointed competent person for Health and Safety purposes.
- Developing and reviewing policies, processes and practices.
- Driving a health & safety culture through staff inductions, training and coaching.
- Carrying out inspections, audits and risk assessments.
- Monitoring and investigating accidents, incidents and near misses.
- Providing help, advice and support to staff and managers to deliver the right services.
- Researching, initiating and participating in the development of Health and Safety initiatives
Further information can be found in the role profile in the attached recruitment pack.
Who are Wales & West Housing (WWH)?
We are one of the leading housing providers in Wales; providing affordable homes and services to more than 20,000 residents in 11,800 properties across Wales. We formed a group company in 2011, to include Cambria Maintenance Ltd and Castell Ventures Ltd. We employ over 400 staff at WWH and over 220 staff in the other companies within our Group, making us a major Welsh employer. As an organisation we adopt a systems thinking approach to the way we manage and deliver our services across the Group; it underpins the way in which we operate. We are also ranked the top Welsh not-for-profit organisation in the 2018 Sunday Times Best Companies list and ranked 4th in the top 100 in the whole of the UK. We are also very proud to be the first organisation in Wales to be awarded Platinum status in the Investors in People (IIP) Standard.
Are we right for you?
Our recruitment process is equally about you seeing if you fit with us so we encourage you to have an informal conversation about the role before applying. Please feel free to contact Beth Burns, Group Health & Safety Manager on 07790 961239.
Applying is easy, just complete our online application form by clicking the blue button below and tell us why you suit the role and what you can bring to our organisation. Remember to demonstrate how you meet each criteria and give good examples of how you have demonstrated these in the past. CVs are not currently being accepted for this role.
Applications are being accepted via our online application process only, unless a disability makes this more difficult. If this is the case or you require any more information about the application process please contact the Human Resources Department on 0790675480.
Closing date for applications: Sunday, 31st October 2021 at 17.00
Assessment date: Tuesday, 9th November 2021